Today in the United States, over 20 million people use a Medicare Advantage (MA) plan for their health care insurance coverage. That number means that one out of every three Medicare recipients has this type of coverage, and 17 percent of them have coverage with Humana.
A Medicare Advantage plan, also known as Part C, covers the same medical services and supplies that are covered by Original Medicare Parts A (hospital insurance) and B (medical insurance). Many MA plans also include prescription drug coverage (Part D), vision, hearing, or dental care, and other extra benefits. Your health care coverage depends on what extra services you choose, the provider you have, and in some cases, where you live.
If you are considering purchasing a Part C plan from a private insurance provider like Humana, it is important that you know what health care service options you have and how they are covered. Here is some information that may help you decide about a private insurance plan from Humana.
What coverage does a Humana MA plan provide?
Humana is one of the largest private health insurance companies in the United States. It is under contract with the U.S. federal government allowing it to provide and administer Medicare insurance plans. Various Humana Medicare Advantage plans are available in 47 states and Washington D.C. The plans that are available in your area may include one of the four types of plans that Humana offers. These are:
• HMO plans
• PPO plans
• PFF plans
• Special Needs Plans
All of the Humana MA plans include the same benefits you would have through Original Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance). You also have options for prescription drug coverage, and additional benefits that may include vision care, hearing care, dental care, and health and wellness programs.
Here is a more detailed look at what Humana MA plans include:
• You have the right to choose who you want as your primary care physician from the network of Humana’s approved providers. Visiting a provider who is in-network minimizes your copay and ensures that you do not pay a deductible.
• Monthly premiums are low, and in some cases, you may not have a monthly premium at all. How much your premium costs depends on which plan you choose.
• Prescription drug coverage is available with most plans, but not all. The coverage Humana offers is comparable to Medicare’s Part D coverage, and in some instances, it is even more comprehensive.
• Some Humana plans cover emergency health care during foreign travel.
• Most of your annual preventive screenings are covered by your Humana Advantage plan at no additional expense to you.
• Humana Advantage plans provide hospitalization coverage.
• Most of Humana Advantage plans include a Silver Sneakers fitness program membership. You should look into local facilities to find one that offers these programs.
Medicare Advantage plans cover everything that is included in Original Medicare Parts A and B. Plans and coverage may vary depending on where you live. You also have options for extra coverage and you may enjoy the peace of mind that there are set limits for your annual out-of-pocket spending.